A focus on Partnerships and Services
Comprehensive school health (CSH) involves the entire school community, not only what happens in the classroom.
One of the four pillars is Partnerships and Services: Community – and school – based partnerships and services are essential links for student achievement and the health and well-being of everyone in the school community.
Since fall 2014, Ever Active Schools has been busy learning how these partnerships and relationships are built and maintained. See below for a review of the activities and the findings.
Ever Active Schools surveyed Albertans to determine the most effective strategies and practices for supporting meaningful and sustainable partnerships between schools and communities. The survey was developed and analyzed with assistance from Brenda Herchmer of Grassroots Enterprises. In total, 395 individuals responded to the survey.
2) Shaping the Future Pre-conference
In January 2015 at our annual Shaping the Future Conference, we held a full day pre-conference dedicated to building school and community partnerships. During the pre-conference participants:
- Discovered new and creative opportunities for partnership
- Identified strategies to overcome partnership challenges and barriers
- Discussed common elements of successful partnerships
- Explored new resources and tools to support the “how to” of building partnerships
- Networked with others working in similar areas
- Heard success stories from individuals across Alberta, describing their unique school community partnerships experiences (see link below).
3) Key Informant Interviews
Ever Active Schools assessed current school-community partnerships within Alberta through an interview process. The objectives of the interviews included:
- Classifying the common types of school-community partnerships and the various roles of individuals
- Identifying the benefits and challenges associated with school-community partnerships
- Outlining the implications and importance of school-community partnerships
- Providing recommendations on how to foster successful future partnerships.
4) Themes to navigating successful partnerships
Ever Active Schools reviewed many of the activities and stories that emerged over the year, and summarized some themes that can serve as a road map to navigating and negotiating successful school-community partnerships.